No one wants to spend hours inside the house, but that is what happens during certain days in the spring and the summer. These seasons bring the rain and since you know that you will be stuck inside, you might as well create a fun space to hang out together as a family. Your basement is a perfect choice, because it can fit a lot of people and well, you won’t hear the noise from the crowds as much when you are upstairs.
You may be thinking that the basement just won’t work, because it is dark and filled with cobwebs, but we can assure you that a little work will change all of that and turn it into the perfect rainy day getaway. The first thing that will need to be done after a good cleaning is painting the walls a nice cheerful color. You can paint all of the walls the same color or you can choose one wall as a focal point and paint that one a bolder color.
Basement floors can be chilly at any time of the year, so we recommend installing radiant heat under your flooring. This way, your feet will be toasty during every season. Once you have all of those cosmetic features taken care, it is time to focus on the fun stuff.
You can create one large room with furniture all along the walls or you can choose to create cozy sitting areas for each activity that will take place down there. We always prefer the latter, because it works out well for large families and large parties.
Here are a few ideas for the areas in your new basement:
- Entertainment area – This is where the television can go for movies and video games. We recommend placing couches and chairs in this area for the ultimate in comfort.
- Reading nook – A couple of comfy chairs and a small table and lamp are all that is needed in this space.
- Homework, snack, and board game area – A small dinette might be sufficient for this space, but if you have a larger family, you will obviously want to go with a larger table and more chairs.
- Play area – Smaller children will need plenty of room to play with all of their toys. This area can have an area rug, floor pillows, and bean bags for them to lounge on.
- Wet bar – This is another space that can be used for snacking. Place a few bar stools around the bar and you have the perfect space for adult conversation.
- Craft area – A table, chairs, and cupboards for all of the materials will make this a wonderful spot for both kids and mom.
These are just a few ideas that you can use for your new space. We recommend sitting down with your family and finding out how they envision themselves using this space. Once you have everyone’s answers, you will be able to design the perfect space and then you won’t have to worry about those rainy days anymore.
We look forward to the opportunity to help you improve your home. We’re located in New Kensington and provide all types of remodeling and home improvement to Pittsburgh area homeowners. Take a look at our gallery of past projects and give us a call at 724-335-8515 to schedule an appointment for a consultation.