When was the last time your home had a new roof? Has it been more than 15 years? If you’ve purchased your home within the last 15 years and don’t really know when the shingles were replaced, you’re probably approaching the time for a new roof. An old or worn out roof may not cause an issue now, but that doesn’t mean that something major will not happen at any time.
Here are 6 signs that you need a new roof:
- Curling Shingles: If the edges of your shingles are curling or the tabs are cupped, then you are going to need to replace your roof soon. Water can find its way under the edges of your shingles when they are curled and that will cause damage to the materials below.
- Missing Granules: If you happen to notice a lot of shingle granules in your gutters or notice that many of the granules are missing from your shingles, it is time to replace your roof. These granules protect the shingles and without them, your shingles will deteriorate quickly.
- Cracked Shingles: Cracked shingles can cause as much of a problem as curling shingles, as precipitation can get underneath and cause damage. If you do not replace your roof, you may find that you have water spots on your ceiling. That is caused from all the materials under your shingles getting wet and deteriorating.
- Age of Your Roof: As mentioned above, older roofs should be replaced before major issues occur. Most roofs last twenty years, but certain things, like the weather, can cause shingles to age faster.
- Dark Streaks: If you notice any dark streaks on your shingles, you have a problem with algae. The algae will not harm your shingles, but your roof isn’t going to look as nice as it should. You can clean the algae off with a mixture of bleach and water, but you need to do it carefully. During the cleaning process, you will need to be careful to not scrape off the granules on your shingles.
- Signs of Moss: Moss can easily grow in areas of your roof that don’t get a lot of sun. This moss will not look good, but it can cause more problems than that. The moss will keep moisture on your roof and that moisture will damage your shingles.
A roofing professional will be able to inspect your roof to see if it is time to have it replaced. Therefore, if you notice any of the above, give us a call to prevent any problems from happening.