According to our customers and other homeowners that we have talked to, most people will go out and get between three and four quotes for any home improvement project. That means that they then need to go through each one and decide which one is going to offer them the best deal for the money that they are putting out.
It isn’t always easy to compare roofing quotes, because each contractor will set them up differently. However, they should all have the same information on them. This information should include the materials being used, as well as the cost, the day the project will begin and end, and any fees for dumpsters, permits, and other items that the contractor is charging for.
Since these numbers can be all over the place on a quote, some homeowners like yourself will create a spreadsheet that they can use to keep everything organized for each contractor. That way, they can transfer the information over and then compare each one side by side. Of course, that only works well if you can guarantee that you will not transpose numbers or type in the wrong information!
There are numerous things that can affect the amount of a quote and it is important that you question that contractor if something doesn’t make any sense.
Here are some of the factors that normally lead to the quote being higher than all the rest:
- Shingle prices can fluctuate drastically, so it is important to ask which ones the contractor is using and placing in the quote – It may be worthwhile to pay a little more if the shingles are better and will last longer
- Warranties that are included
- Hidden costs are included instead of being left out to surprise you with later
- Major contractors always have a higher overhead and more equipment, so they normally charge more
Here are some of the factors that normally lead to the quote being lower than all the rest:
- The contractor may not have the right insurance for doing this type of job
- The contractor is hiding costs to add in later on
- The contractor may not do this work too often and is more of a fly by the night person who never does a good job on anything that they do
We recommend going over each of the roofing quotes that you receive carefully, so that you do not miss any of the important details. Doing so can cause you to pay more in the long run, especially if you need to replace your new roof sooner than later.