It is the time of the year when you are digging through boxes in your basement, looking for all your holiday decorations. Of course, in just a few short weeks, you will be back down in your basement trying to put everything away once again. It’s a cycle that many of us repeat year after year.
We want to encourage you to take a step back as you are doing all this and really look at your basement. Is it dark and dreary? Do you dislike going down there unless you really need to? Is it only full of storage bins and boxes? Would you like to make better use of the space?
After you answer those questions, we want you to evaluate how much space you really have. It’s a lot, isn’t it? That is all usable space that you and your family will benefit from if you take the time to do a little work. Remodeling the basement can nearly double the square footage of your home and add a great deal of functionality to your home.
Here are 5 ideas that will help you create a cozy basement space for the new year:
- Add Lighting: A light here and there in your basement is not going to make it cozy, but you can add lighting in multiple ways. You can choose to install lights in the ceiling, plus you can utilize lamps within seating areas.
- Add a Fireplace: Nothing says cozy more than a warm and inviting fireplace. A fireplace can become the focal point of this space, and it is a great way to create a comfortable seating area where you can gather with family and friends.
- Add Color: You may be tempted to paint the walls white in your basement, and this is a good choice, but we do recommend that you choose a slightly warmer neutral color when you paint. The space will still look large, and it will feel more inviting.
- Add Heated Floors: Basement floors can be cold, so we recommend installing a heated floor in this space. Radiant heat can be installed under many flooring materials, so you will have an abundance of choices to pick from.
- Add a Bar: Everyone gets hungry when they are hanging out, so we recommend adding a bar area to your basement. You can have a small sink, refrigerator, microwave, and even a dishwasher behind your bar. It can be the perfect place to store snacks, drinks, dishes, and more.
Basement Remodeling in Pittsburgh
We know that you will not be disappointed once you finally finish your basement and turn it into viable living space. You will finally have the extra space you have needed all these years, and you will no longer dread going down there. Oh, and we can help you find a place for all those holiday boxes as well. Organized storage will make next year’s holiday decoration much easier and more efficient. Call us at 724-335-8515 when you’re ready to start planning your basement remodeling project.