A home addition provides the incredible opportunity to add more than square footage to your home. Building an addition changes the shape of your home. This offers you the opportunity to increase your home’s curb appeal by using a different type of siding that complements the existing structure instead of matching. At Michael F. Whalen Contracting, we regularly work with homeowners who want to improve their home’s appearance as much as they improve the functionality. Our goal is to help you design and build a home addition that will add more than square footage to your home’s floor plan.
Ideas for Your Home Addition
Homeowners build home additions for a variety of reasons, and it’s very likely that you already know what you want. We would like to introduce a few more ideas for your consideration. Take a look through these ideas and let us know if you would like to include them in your home remodeling project:
- Split Level Family Room with Conversation Pit – This unusual design begins with the addition of a new family room. Drop an area in the center of the room a few steps to create a multi-level room. You may also create hidden storage in the partial walls this creates in the dropped center of the room.
- Dormers in the Attic – Expand your attic storage space by adding dormers. Dormers also offer the opportunity to increase your home’s curb appeal by adding your own decorative flare.
- Build Up – Building up means the addition of a second story, and it is generally less expensive per square foot than building an addition onto the perimeter of the home.
- Porch – A front porch adds the ability to increase curb appeal by using a variety of methods to make your home stand apart from others in the neighborhood.
- In-law Suite – Build a special place for guests to stay while they’re visiting. This area should include a small kitchenette, a private living area, a bedroom, and a fully functional bathroom.
- Sunroom – New Kensington sees some pretty bad winter weather; because of this, many homeowners don’t consider building a sunroom. The addition of a sunroom provides the opportunity to enjoy watching the snowfall during the winter, watching spring rains nourish your lawn and flower gardens, seeing summertime birds and bees in the flower gardens, and watching the leaves change colors during the fall. We have many, many reasons to build a sunroom.
We could, of course, mention the usual suspects such as expanding the kitchen, adding a family room or a bedroom, or expanding the master bedroom. But those are generally among the first ideas that homeowners present us. Take some of our other ideas into consideration and give us a call.
Thank you for stopping by the website and allowing us to share our ideas with you. Take a look at our gallery of past projects to see how we can create a home addition that will improve your quality of life, increase the square footage of your home, and maybe even increase your home’s curb appeal. Call us at 724-335-8515 to schedule an appointment to discuss your home addition ideas in detail.