Moving into a new home can be stressful enough, but it is worse when you have a long list of things that you want to change inside your new home. While it may seem better to set that list aside until you are settled in, there are a few things that you should do before you finish unpacking all your belongings.
Here are 8 items to conquer before you finish unpacking:
- Popcorn Ceilings: You may not feel like tackling your popcorn ceilings right away, but you will need to if you do not want to empty everything out of the rooms in your home again. In order to remove the popcorn ceilings, the ceiling will need to be sprayed with warm water and then scraped. This makes a huge mess, which is why it is one of the items that we suggest doing immediately.
- Repair Water Damage: While we hope that your new home doesn’t have any water damage, we do recommend that you look for it before you move all your belongings in. Over time, water damage can create odors and mold, which can be harmful to you and your family.
- Eliminate Pests: We know that you do not want ants, cockroaches, mice, or any other pests inside your home. If you think that there is a chance that you may have a problem with any of them, you will want to have them removed before you move in. Pest sprays are made from chemicals that you do not want to breathe in after you move in.
- Replace Termite Damage: Removing walls to find the extent of the damage termites have caused is easier to do when there is nothing else in the house. You may need to call an exterminator as well, to ensure that there are no living termites to create damage to what you are replacing.
- Clean Air Ducts: You may or may not need to clean out your air ducts, but it may be necessary if you suspect mold. Doing this project after you move in will create dust and dirt over all your belongings.
- Clean Your Floors: Steam cleaning your carpets will be easier if there is no furniture to move or go around. If the carpeting or other flooring is in bad shape, it will be easier to replace it now as well.
- Add Paint: Filling holes, sanding, washing walls, and painting is much easier when you do not need to work around furniture and memorabilia.
- Deep Cleaning: Before you can move all your boxes in, you are going to want to deep clean your new home. This will take a while to do, but it won’t take as long as it would if you need to move all your stuff around at the same time.
We understand that you are excited about moving into your new home, but you will appreciate your new home more if you have tackled these eight projects before you move your belongings in. It won’t take you as long to do all of them and your home will look much nicer once you have everything unpacked. And as an added bonus, you won’t have to clean all of your furniture after moving in if you do the messy work beforehand.