Unfortunately, no roofing material lasts forever. It may not seem like it was that long ago that you had those new shingles put on, but if you really think about it you may come to realize that yes, it really was fifteen years ago or more. Time flies when you’re having fun!
Here are 5 signs that you need to look for to see if a new roof is in your future:
- The Age of Your Roof: You may need to do a little digging for the paperwork to determine exactly when you had your roof installed. Many roofs will last between twenty and twenty-five years, but there are many circumstances that can change those numbers. Weather elements, ventilation, and how many layers of shingles are on your roof are a few things that can decrease the length of time.
- Curling Shingles: If you look up and see any of your shingles curling, then it is time to have them replaced. Once the shingles begin to curl, they will not keep water and other debris from getting underneath them. That means that water can seep through your roof into your home.
- Missing Shingles: Missing shingles are even worse than curling shingles, because your roof has even less protection against the elements.
- Granules in the Gutters: The granules on shingles are there for a reason and if you are finding quite a few of them in your gutters, then your shingles are near the end of their time. Another way to tell if the granules are falling off is to look and see if any of your shingles look darker than the others or if there are inconsistent colors.
- You See Daylight: Yes, daylight is a good thing, but not when you can see it through your roof as you are inside your home. You may not think much of it at first, but if you are standing there and it starts to rain, you will begin to feel raindrops on your head. Spotting daylight through your roof means that not only do your shingles need to be replaced, but the boards underneath as well, because they have rotted from water damage.
While you might not be happy that your roof needs to be replaced, there is some good news. Once it is completed, you will have even better curb appeal and your home’s value will increase.
Call Michael F. Whalen Contracting in New Kensington and the greater Pittsburgh area today at 724-335-8515 to schedule an appointment for a consultation. We will discuss your options for roofing materials for a new roof or roof replacement and offer advice on what we feel is the best course of action. We provide all types of remodeling and home improvement services to homeowners in New Kensington and the surrounding areas.