Constructing an addition onto your home can give you the much-needed space that you desire without going through the hassle of moving to a new home. While that is great, because you won’t have to pack, leave your fabulous neighbors, unpack, and meet new neighbors; building an addition does take time.
Here are 4 things that you must know before you begin building your new addition:
- Your Needs: It is easy to say that you need more space in your home, but before you begin construction, you will need to know exactly how you want to use your new space. Do you want a larger kitchen? Or is it your dream to have a large family room that can serve as an entertainment area as well?
- Different Types of Additions: No two additions are ever the same, but each one is from one of five categories.
- Bump-out: This type of addition has you bumping out at least one wall to make an existing room larger.
- First floor: A first floor addition has you adding a completely new room or multiple rooms. The downside to this addition is that it takes up a lot of yard space.
- Dormer: A dormer addition uses the available space under a steep roofline to create more space in a home. Headroom may be limited in these types of additions.
- Second Story: Homeowners without a second floor can use this type of an addition to double the space in their home, because they are adding another complete floor.
- Garage: An addition over the garage will not offer a large amount of space, but it is enough to make into a private bedroom, guest room, or even a small bonus room.
- Permits: Every town and city is different when it comes to the necessary permits that are needed to build an addition. Your local contractor can help you secure these permits as they work with you and your local building department.
- Cost: Additions are not cheap and one could cost you more than you would spend to move to a new house. However, your home’s value will increase once your addition is complete and most people find that they can recoup approximately eighty percent of their investment. That’s not bad for a space that you will be using quite often.
A new addition will offer you the space that you have always dreamed about in your home and while there is a lot to do during construction, you will be happy once everything is completed. Then you can simply enjoy your space and all the additional room that you now have.
Call Michael F. Whalen Contracting in New Kensington and the greater Pittsburgh area today at 724-335-8515 to schedule an appointment for a consultation. We will discuss your options for building a new home addition and offer advice on what we feel is the best course of action. We provide all types of remodeling and home improvement services to homeowners in New Kensington and the surrounding areas.